Saturday, August 2, 2014

remember choosing it, it's not the one I read.

This post is about how I friendly pwned my customers. First I thought about doing a rant on the entire gender pushing "girls have to like pink etc" topic which is everywhere when you work in retail, but then I thought about all the negative things I post here. Why not share a fun little story that happened a few days ago at the store. I'll probably do my rant in a couple weeks time. You know I love them...

Anyway. The story I'm going to tell actually is about this whole messed up gender thing, but not in a bad way.
I was standing behind the counter when a couple came up to me, each of them holding a book they wanted to buy. I don't remember the book the woman was holding, but the guy put The Rosie Project on the counter. It's important for you to know how the German cover of certain book looks like. Here it is:


And what's also important for you to know, is that the guy wore a t-shirt of the exact same color. Like the one of the book cover.
Since they both put their book on the counter with their hands still on top of it I asked if they wanted one or two transactions. What follows is a loose translation of the actual German conversation.

Woman: We'll pay seperately, please.
Me: Ok. *takes The Rosie Project*
Man: It's a gift for her. I'm not reading such books.
Me: Mhm.
Woman: You don't have to justify yourself for reading books like that one.
Man: Well, guys don't read these kind of books. Do they?
Me: Sure, why not?
Man: I don't know. I'm not reading it. (he was obviously joking. I'm sure this guy's already all the way through this book by now...)
Woman: Oh, come on.
Man: It's a book for women. I mean, look at the cover.
Me while finishing the transaction: Well, I'd say it suits your t-shirt.
That was the moment both the man and the woman bursted out in laughter. Honestly, the woman had a very hard time to stop laughing at her husband.
Man: Oh damn it.
Woman to her husband: You know, you would've been better off if you haven't said anything at all.
I smiled silently and started her transaction. They chuckled every now and then and the guy pretty much did no longer know what to say.
When I was done they said bye, turned around to walk out the store and immediately bursted out in laughter again.
And I had a big smile on my face. Customer pwned. My day was made. And probably theirs as well.
What else do I need?

No comments:

Post a Comment