Saturday, June 7, 2014

[recipe] protein-packed quinoa-everything.

I promised that I would post recipes any time I came up with one. So here I am, posting a recipe. Never done this before and it's going to be quite strange. I can't really tell you how much I use of each ingredient. I simply put in as much as I desire. But I'll do my best.
Also, I can't quite tell how many people it serves. I usually eat rather big amounts of food at once. What's one meal for me, is probably 1,5 to 2 for some other people.

A note before we start: I don't use garlic and onion to protect my bowel. Of course, you can add some, but I invite you to try it the way I do it and you're going to like it as well (hopefully). It's a different experience not using strong flavors like garlic and onion. They usually cover up every other flavor of a meal.

Protein-packed Quinoa-everything
serves 2-3 (or more)


What you need
50 ml quinoa
1 handfull of textured vegetable protein (for my German speakers: Sojagranulat (in case you didn't know))
1 fennel bulb
1/2 can chickpeas (rinsed)
vegetable broth (for the TVP)
canned diced tomatos (as much as you desire)
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
vegan Worcestershire Sauce
lemon juice (about half a lemon or to taste)
salt
pepper

Instructions

  1. Put the TVP in a saucepan, cover it with vegetabel broth, put a lid on and set it aside for about 15 minutes.
  2. Rinse quinoa well. Best way to do it, is to put the Quinoa in a measuring cup, pour hot water in it. Then wait until all the quinoa sinks to the bottom of the cup. Gentle pour out the water. Repeat once or twice. Put the rinsed quinoa in a saucepan, covered it with water. Bring it to a boil, reduce heat and let it cook until done. 
  3. In the meantime, wash the fennel bulb and dice it.
  4. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Put the fennel in and cook for 5 minutes. Rinse the TVP over the skillet. Let the fennel cook in the vegetable broth for another 5 minutes. (don't use too much vegetable broth, it shouldn't be watery)
  5. Remove fennel from the skillet or simply put it all on one side of the skillet to make space for your TVP.
  6. Pur your TVP in and let it cook for a few minutes. Add some Worcester Sauce to the protein. Season with salt and pepper, then mix it with the fennel. 
  7. Add quinoa, chickpeas, lemon juice and diced tomatos. Use as much tomatos as you want. If you want it more like a soup or sauce, add a lot. I prefer just a bit to keep it 'creamy'.
  8. Let it simmer for 10-20 minutes (the longer the better, but it also tastes good if you're in a hurry)
    Taste it and season again if necessary.

Mahlzeit! :)

1 comment:

  1. looks yummy! i love quinoa. i haven't had any in ages though. :(

    ReplyDelete